I told you on Monday that I was back from a blogging break. But I’m not quite sure that I’m ready to be here, but here I am, still writing.
Why am I burned out? I keep thinking about this because I love blogging so much. I have had such a great time with it and for some reason I keep dreading having to sit down and write a post. Here are some of my reasons why I think I burned myself out on blogging during the last 3 months:
1. I started doing too much. I was blogging 7 days a week & doing blog design 7 days a week. That’s a lot of work.
2. Because I had started doing blog design (which I love) I wasn’t able to write back to all of the people who were commenting. I was getting between 20-30 comments a day and it was too much for me to write back or visit every.single.blog. It was overwhelming.
3. Then my comments started dropping from 20-30 a day to 7 or 8. I couldn’t understand why. So I started beating myself up for it being my fault & I spent an unhealthy amount of time worried about making sure I was writing the “right blog topics” or “commenting back to everyone.” I think this compulsion started to seep into the blog posts, maybe they weren’t good, maybe people just were too busy to visit, maybe maybe maybe maybe. There were too many “what ifs” going through my mind. And it was driving me insane.
4. I was wanting to do more reading like I used to do in the evenings until I started blogging. I was missing sitting down and reading a “real” piece of literature, not staring into a computer screen. I wanted to sip hot tea or hot chocolate and just enjoy my evenings instead of obsessing over my blog.
5. I was letting blogging control whether or not I watched a movie or read a book or went somewhere after Lboy went to bed on the weeknights because if I didn’t get my blog post written then people wouldn’t visit and then my blog numbers would drop & then all my hard work would go down the drain.
6. I took on an insane amount of blog designs in a short amount of time & then my computer crashed in the middle of all of it. So I was upset that I promised these people a product & then couldn’t deliver in the time frame promised to them.
7. Having a crashed computer is stressful. Dealing with customer service reps who are stupid is not fun. Shipping your computer back to have it fixed only to have it return to you STILL broken is stressful. It just makes you want to throw your hands up in the air & be done with it all! (I wrote this post a few days ago as a scheduled post so:**Update** Sony Extended Warranty Services contacted me yesterday and told me that I am getting a BRAND SPANKIN’ NEW COMPUTER! And it will still be pink!)
8. I was getting frustrated when Lboy would want me to do something with him when I was trying to get my designs done or a post written. I was letting my blog come first, it was no longer a hobby just a poorly paid job and my salary was a messy house, microwavable suppers, & an unhappy baby.
This week I’ve still been reading at night, I just jot down a blog idea during the day so I’m not spending a lot of time brainstorming, and then I write it after Lboy has gone to bed and then immediately get off the computer so I can enjoy my evening.
I’m also not checking my email during the day while Lboy is awake. I don’t even turn the computer on until after he has gone to bed. I will only be writing back to people M-F from 7:30-10:00 PM CST. And I am going to MAKE myself stick to this!
I’m also thinking about switching to only writing a blog post on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. And when I have my blog designing computer back I am going to only take 2 blog designs a week, instead of 6. These new plans already make me feel less stressed.
If it gets too much and I continue to let myself make this be a controlling hobby and I turn it into a job, then I’m not going to do it anymore. It’s kind of like that rule, “If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all.” Well my new motto is going to be, “If you can’t be moderate with your blogging, then don’t blog at all.”
But now I must go, because I have a good book to read (acutally I have 4!) and a hot cup of orange zinger tea waiting for me in my favorite chair in the house & the puppy is all curled up at my feet ready to snuggle!