I got this idea from Laura @ Cowboy Boots & Baby Booties…. I thought it was super cute!
Dear Little Kate,
Enjoy yourself, don’t be too serious, & don’t spend so much time worrying about the future. Enjoy the present & know things always work out, sometimes it wasn’t your original plan or want, but it is always perfect. You may not understand what any of this means now, but as these things happen you will:
1. When you’re 9 years old & your mother asks you if you’d rather have a new brother or sister or your own bedroom, your response of “I want a new brother or sister” is the best one! Not only did it make your mom sigh with relief, but your little brother was the best addition to the family-he’s hilarious & a great friend! And you get your bedroom a few years later anyways & you were so lonely you made your siblings take turns sleeping in there with you.
2. When those girls are mean to you in grade school just ignore them, it will make you a better person.
3. Pay attention to Spanish in high school because you become a Spanish major in college. And because you learn Spanish you eventually go to Mexico & there you have many surprises waiting-one being the love of your life.
4. Motherhood is as hard as your mom said it would be. But it’s also just as rewarding. That first time you rocked your son when he was just 2 weeks old & sang the same lullabies your mom sang to you & your siblings it was absolutely magical.
5. Don’t go out & buy that stupid car–you don’t want to pay for it. Appreciate the fact that you don’t have a car payment over having leather seats. It will be worth it, I promise!
6. Someday you will fall in love with HGTV, it’s not as boring as you think it is!
7. I know you’ve spent years wondering what your new last name will be when you’re married; it’s beautiful & French. And you always told you’re mother you were born for French aristocracy, now all you need is the title. You’re half way there!
8. Cherish your husband. Know that you can be just as strong as a man & just as intelligent, but also know that your husband needs to know that he’s needed, loved, & the strongest man in the world. And it’s okay for you to be vulnerable-he likes that about you, even though you hate it when you are.
9. Love & cherish those who came before you–sometimes they really do know what they’re talking about. And even though your grandfather seems a little scary now, he’s actually hilarious, awesome, smart, God-fearing, & wonderful. He’s your hero! So is your grandmother & she’s fiesty. Their farm offers you a lot of comfort & peace during times in your life when you feel like those two things don’t exist.
10. You love dogs, even though you claim you don’t. You only say you don’t because you miss your best bud, Walter. You actually talk your husband into buying you a puppy & he’s the cutest, cuddly little fella out there! You love him.
11. Even though you love all your sibs, you tell your mom your entire life that you’re going to marry an only child so that you won’t have to share. And guess what? You do marry an only child & it’s awesome not having to share the best in-laws in the world.
12. I’m not going to tell you anymore because you have so many good surprises ahead of you. There is some hurt too, but all those hurts are great lessons. Have a blast & enjoy yourself! As Mark Twain said, “Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Wolverine is doing better-not 100%, but doing a lot better. I’m hoping things will be back to semi-normal tomorrow. Thank you for all your comments & support!